All posts by admin

Christchurch FC v Shaftesbury FC – 16th February 2019

Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Saturday 16 February 2019


This was the classic “game of two halves” with some “well-chosen” words clearly being said in the home dressing room during the half-time interval.

Things started badly for Christchurch when Tom Cooper was injured in the third minute and had to be replaced by Dan Haynes.  There was then little of consequence in the first half hour with barely a shot on target being registered by either side, despite some good approach work.  Shaftesbury took the lead after 33 minutes when one of their players was left unmarked by the home defence and shot into the top corner of the net giving Max Frampton no chance.  Shaftesbury increased their lead on the stroke of half-time when a corner on the left cleared the packed goalmouth and went to one of their players on the right, again unmarked, whose shot went past Max Frampton into the net to give the visitors a 2-0 lead at the break.

Christchurch showed more determination in the second half and, following a corner on the right, the ball was passed from Max Wilcock to LUCAS MURRAIN, who lobbed the ball over the Shaftesbury goalkeeper into the net to reduce the deficit.  Midway through the second half, good interplay between Dan Haynes, Lucas Murrain and BILLY WALKER, led to the latter shooting wide of the visiting goalkeeper into the net to level the scores at 2-2.  Free-kicks and corners taken by Ash Pope later in the half almost produced a victory for Christchurch, but a shot by Max Wilcock was collected by the Salisbury goalkeeper and Grant Cormack headed over the bar from a few yards out, leaving the scoreline 2-2 at the final whistle.

Christchurch – Frampton, Rogers, Cooper (Haynes D 3), Cormack, Wright, Swann, Pope, Walker, Murrain (Butler 74), Wilcock, Kirkham (Wildish 89).  Unused subs – Bishop, Deem

Christchurch FC v Bournemouth FC – 9th February 2019


Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Saturday 9th February 2019

After the rain in the last 24 hours, it was surprising that this game was able to go ahead, but due credit to the groundstaff whose hard work ensured that the pitch was playable.  Unfortunately, the players were not able to reproduce the form that took them to a convincing win over AFC Portchester last week, and we lost 2-0 to our near neighbours from Victoria Park.

Christchurch started brightly and several chances in the first half-hour were safely cleared by the Bournemouth defence, but the visitors then took control and a mix-up in the Christchurch defence allowed Bournemouth to seize onto a loose ball and shoot wide of Max Frampton’s despairing dive into the net to give them the lead.  Shortly afterwards there was another similar mix-up in the Christchurch defence but this time the visitors shot tamely wide of goal.  Towards the end of the half, Bournemouth were through on goal again, with the Christchurch defence standing appealing for offside, but the assistant referee (quite rightly!) did not raise his flag and the resulting shot fortunately went wide of goal to leave the score 0-1 at half-time.

The main action during the first 20 minutes of the second half related to fouls and yellow cards for both teams as Christchurch tried to get back into the game.  As in the first half, Bournemouth then took the initiative and a corner on the left was cleared off the line and the rebound sent just wide of the post for a goal-kick.  Another mix-up in the home defence allowed Bournemouth to shoot on goal, but Harvey Wright managed to clear the ball off the goal-line.  Kieran Douglas was then injured in a tackle for the second time and had to go off, which led to a reshuffle in defence with Billy Walker taking over the armband and taking Kieran’s place in the heart of the defence.  In the last 10 minutes, Christchurch pressed for an equalizer with Max Wilcock and Ash Pope combining well before the former’s shot went just over the bar.  Into stoppage time and, with Christchurch committing men upfield, Bournemouth broke away through the sparse home defence to shoot wide of Max Frampton into goal to give the final scoreline of 0-2.

Christchurch – Frampton, Wright, Cooper, Cormack, Douglas (Wildish 73), Cherrett (Wilcock 45), Satterley B (Swann 67), Walker, Pope, Murrain, Kirkham.  Unused sub – Rogers.

AFC Portchester v Christchurch FC – 2nd February 2019


Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)
Saturday 2 February 2019

Due to the adverse weather conditions, this was the only game to survive in the Wessex League Premier Division and all credit must go to the Portchester groundstaff in preparing the pitch ready for the game.

Portchester started strongly and in the second minute it took a full length save by Max Frampton in the Christchurch goal to keep them at bay but were somewhat fortuitous to take the lead after 6 minutes when a through ball found one of their strikers in a suspiciously offside position but, as there was no flag, he was allowed to continue and brought another superb save from Max Frampton, which went out for a throw-in.  From the throw-in Portchester shot wide of Max and into the net.  After a fine move between Harvey Wright, Lucas Murrain and Ben Satterley, the latter’s shot was “handled” in the area and ASH POPE sent the resulting penalty wide of the goalkeeper to level the scores at 1-1.  Towards the end of the first half, interplay between Harvey Wright, Ben Satterley and Ash Pope ended with Ash’s shot rebounding back from the bar to BILLY WALKER, who shot wide of the goalkeeper to give Christchurch a deserved 2-1 lead at half-time.

Portchester again started strongly and their first shot rebounded from the bar with Max Frampton well beaten.  Shortly afterwards, Portchester were reduced to 10 men when one of their players who had already been cautioned received a second yellow card for a foul.  Christchurch exploited their numerical advantage and successive corners on the right by Ash Pope led to a shot from Lucas Murrain rebounding back into play from the post.  LUCAS MURRAIN then beat three defenders before shooting into the top corner to make the scoreline 3-1 to Christchurch.  A few minutes later, a free kick on the left by Ash Pope was headed into goal by SCOTT ROGERS to give Christchurch the victory by 4-1 and complete the “double” over their opponents who started the game in the top half of the league table.

Christchurch – Frampton, Wright, Cooper, Cormack, Douglas, Cherrett (Robinson 86), Satterley B (Swann  83), Walker, Pope, Murrain, Kirkham (Rogers 75) .

Team Solent v Christchurch FC – 26th January 2019


Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)
Saturday 26 January 2019

Shortly after kick-off, play was held up for 7 minutes following a serious injury to a Team Solent player, who suffered a badly gashed leg after crashing into an advertising board at the side of the pitch. In one of the few meaningful attacks in the first half, Josh Kirkham latched onto a through ball from Ash Pope, but his shot was just wide of goal. Apart from this, it was largely one-way traffic, although the strong wind and driving rain were in Team Solent’s favour in the first half. It was no surprise when Team Solent took the lead after a quarter of an hour, when a shot managed to get through the Christchurch defence into the bottom corner of the net. Max Frampton in the Christchurch goal kept Team Solent at bay and towards the end of the half had to dive full length to keep out a goalbound shot. Josh Kirkham, Max Wilcock and Ash Pope all tried shots, but these were well saved by the Team Solent goalkeeper, to keep the half-time score at 1-0.

Although Christchurch had the benefit of the weather conditions in the second half, they were unable to use them to their advantage as Team Solent had in the first half. Instead, Team Solent increased their lead after 53 minutes when a through ball on the right found their main striker unmarked on the edge of the penalty area. Although he looked to be marginally offside, there was no flag from the assistant referee, and he was able to avoid Max Frampton’s despairing dive and slide the ball into the empty net. Max was kept busy and managed to tip further goalbound shots over the bar. A shot from 20 yards by Billy Walker went just wide of the far post and a cross by Harvey Wright was tipped over the bar by the Team Solent goalkeeper, but this was as close as Christchurch came to scoring, so the final score remained at 2-0 to Team Solent.

Christchurch – Frampton, Wright, Cooper, Cormack, Douglas, Cherrett (Prior 67), Swann (Satterley B 60), Walker, Pope, Wilcock, Kirkham (Wilson 73). Unused subs – Havelin, King O.



Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)
Tuesday 22 January 2019

For the third game in a row, Christchurch fielded the same starting XI and it showed with the commitment and understanding between the players.

Christchurch kicked off, but it was Fareham who mounted the first attack, safely cleared by the home defence. Christchurch took the lead in the second minute when a cross from Ash Pope on the left found LUCAS MURRAIN, who fired his shot wide of the visiting goalkeeper. Brad Cherrett and Harvey Wright were combining well on the right, but it was MAX WILCOCK who scored the second following a corner by Ash Pope. Nick Swann, Max Wilcock and ASH POPE exchanged passes before the latter shot low into the far corner of the net, wide of the goalkeeper to give Christchurch a commanding lead of 3-0 after 33 minutes. Both sides had chances to score from free kicks before the interval, but the defences remained firm, with Christchurch going into the break 3-0 up.

Commitment from both sides intensified in the second half, with the referee being kept busy brandishing yellow cards. Christchurch were unluck not to increase their lead after an hour, when exchanges between Max Wilcock, Harvey Wright, Nick Swann and Brad Cherrett led to a shot from Keiran Douglas rebounding off the post for a corner, from which Lucas Murrain’s shot beat the Fareham goalkeeper but was cleared off the line. At the other end, a short corner on the left led to a cross cum shot, which was also cleared off the line by the Christchurch defence. Towards the end of the game, interplay between Nathan Wildish, Lucas Murrain, Loyd Cole and Max Wicock led to the latter’s shot narrowly going over the bar, followed by Ash Pope, Lucas Murrain and Nathan Wildish combining well before Pope’s shot went just wide of the near post. Both defences remained resolute, so the final score was 3-0 to the home side.

Christchurch – Frampton, Wright, Cooper (Cole 67), Cormack, Douglas, Cherrett, Pope, Walker (Wildish 69), Murrain, Wilcock, Swann (Satterley B 76). Unused subs – Kirkham, Robinson.

Bashley FC v Christchurch FC – 12th January 2019


Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Saturday 12 January 2019

This “local derby” attracted a crowd of more than 200 to the Recreation Ground, where Christchurch were unlucky not to come away with at least one point, having more than held their own against opponents who started the game in 7th place in the league table.

Christchurch adopted a positive line up from the start in 4-3-3 formation leading to chances in the first few minutes which either went over the bar or were saved by the Bashley goalkeeper.  After both sides had chances saved, Ashley Pope nearly put the visitors ahead after half an hour, but his shot was saved by the Bashley goalkeeper diving to his right, before the goalkeeper smothered another shot from Max Wilcock following a through ball by Billy Walker.  Another cross from the left by Ashley Pope was met by Max Wilcock, whose shot was deflected for a corner and then safely cleared upfield.  Just before the interval, a cross by Nick Swann was headed on by Lucas Murrain, but safely gathered by the goalkeeper to leave the score at 0-0 at half-time.

The second half followed a similar pattern with successive shots by Ashley Pope, Brad Cherrett, Lucas Murrain and Grant Cormack safely dealt with by the Bashley defence.  Bashley took the lead after 73 minutes, largely against the run of play, when a cross from the right found a colleague unmarked in front of goal, who headed the ball into the top corner, giving Max Frampton no chance.  Christchurch nearly equalized a couple of minutes later when Harvey Wright found Lucas Murrain on the left who crossed back to Harvey, but his shot rebounded from the post back into play.  There were further chances at both ends during the last 10 minutes, but the defences held firm, with Bashley in particular packing their defence to preserve their lead, so the match finished 1-0 to Bashley.

Christchurch – Frampton, Wright, Cooper (Cole 66), Cormack, Douglas, Cherrett (Wilson 84), Pope, Walker, Murrain, Wilcock, Swann (Prior 70).  Unused subs – Robinson, King.