Christchurch FC v Bournemouth FC – 9th February 2019


Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Saturday 9th February 2019

After the rain in the last 24 hours, it was surprising that this game was able to go ahead, but due credit to the groundstaff whose hard work ensured that the pitch was playable.  Unfortunately, the players were not able to reproduce the form that took them to a convincing win over AFC Portchester last week, and we lost 2-0 to our near neighbours from Victoria Park.

Christchurch started brightly and several chances in the first half-hour were safely cleared by the Bournemouth defence, but the visitors then took control and a mix-up in the Christchurch defence allowed Bournemouth to seize onto a loose ball and shoot wide of Max Frampton’s despairing dive into the net to give them the lead.  Shortly afterwards there was another similar mix-up in the Christchurch defence but this time the visitors shot tamely wide of goal.  Towards the end of the half, Bournemouth were through on goal again, with the Christchurch defence standing appealing for offside, but the assistant referee (quite rightly!) did not raise his flag and the resulting shot fortunately went wide of goal to leave the score 0-1 at half-time.

The main action during the first 20 minutes of the second half related to fouls and yellow cards for both teams as Christchurch tried to get back into the game.  As in the first half, Bournemouth then took the initiative and a corner on the left was cleared off the line and the rebound sent just wide of the post for a goal-kick.  Another mix-up in the home defence allowed Bournemouth to shoot on goal, but Harvey Wright managed to clear the ball off the goal-line.  Kieran Douglas was then injured in a tackle for the second time and had to go off, which led to a reshuffle in defence with Billy Walker taking over the armband and taking Kieran’s place in the heart of the defence.  In the last 10 minutes, Christchurch pressed for an equalizer with Max Wilcock and Ash Pope combining well before the former’s shot went just over the bar.  Into stoppage time and, with Christchurch committing men upfield, Bournemouth broke away through the sparse home defence to shoot wide of Max Frampton into goal to give the final scoreline of 0-2.

Christchurch – Frampton, Wright, Cooper, Cormack, Douglas (Wildish 73), Cherrett (Wilcock 45), Satterley B (Swann 67), Walker, Pope, Murrain, Kirkham.  Unused sub – Rogers.