Christchurch FC v Tadley Calleva FC – 9th march 2019


Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Saturday 9 March 2019

Considering the number of changes Ollie had to make due to suspensions, injuries and unavailability of key players, this was a tremendous performance to secure three more valuable points in our quest to stay in the Premier Division following promotion last year.

The first quarter of an hour belonged to Tadley Calleva who attacked straight from the kick-off and followed this up with several more forays into the Christchurch half but Max Frampton in goal and his defensive colleagues managed to keep the visitors at bay.  Slightly against the run of play, Christchurch took the lead in the 16th minute when Edgar Zanin was tripped in the area and LUCAS MURRAIN despatched his penalty kick wide of the Tadley Calleva goalkeeper into the back of the net.  Ten minutes later, Christchurch should have gone further ahead when Lucas was also tripped in the area to give him his second chance with a penalty kick.  Unfortunately, this time he sent his shot straight at the goalkeeper!  Shortly before half-time the visitors had a free-kick just outside the area, which the home defence failed to clear properly, but the follow-up shot was safely gathered by Max Frampton to leave the score 1-0 at the break.

Both teams had chances during the early exchanges in the second half but the defences held firm.  Over the course of a 10-minute spell midway through the second half, Christchurch brought on all three substitutes to help them maintain their slender advantage.  Tadley Calleva responded with two substitutions of their own as they strove for the equalizer, but further shots on goal were dealt with by the home defence, so that Christchurch were able to hang on to their one goal advantage to give the final score 1-0 and three more points.

Christchurch – Frampton, Cherrett, Cooper (Parnell 75), Rogers, Walker, Robinson (Cormack 67, Bishop 75), Swann, Haynes D, Murrain, Whitehouse, Zanin.  Unused subs – Wildish, Satterley J